Thursday, 26 November 2009


So its finally come time to do some "construction".

First thing to sort out was the wiring.  Jerry at the body shop did a temporary job just to be legal to get me home.  A bit tiding up and feeding each side with its correct wire saw that job off.  Jerry also gave me some marker lights for the top of the caravan back.  I needed to cut the holes to fit them and run the wires.  I have also ordered new rear lights of the motorhome version,  The difference with them and the caravan version is the motorhome ones have square reflectors not triangles as in the caravan version.  I have also put the towbar wiring in.  Photo to come.

The next job was to to seal off the underneath of the new back .  This went surprisingly easily with the aid of a cardboard template.  In true home converter style I used the GRP faced ply that formed the bulkheads I removed back in week one.  Top tip, never throw anything away!

Finally I have made a start on putting something back in instead of ripping out.

As the back has been modified I needed to put a new rear wall in the motorhome.

Stiffening timbers in place


Job done

Tuesday, 24 November 2009

3500kg Magic weight why?

Thanks to Sue, one of my blog readers, for asking and making me realise that not everyone that reads my blog will have all the tech. knowledge.

There are a few significant reasons why it is desirable to stay under 3500kg.

Firstly there is liecencing considerations, If you passed yout driving test  pre '97 license you will have C1 category to legally drive it.  After that you need to take another test to drive over 3500kg

Then there are  downsides that limit speeds on dual carriage ways and single lane roads, and if you go to into Europe you will be barred from quite a lot of towns and villages who operate a strict max. 3500 Kg access limit.

Also when you reach the age of 70 you will need a medical by your doctor which will allow you to continue driving anything over 3500kg.

Another consideration is specialist recovery also comes into play, RAC & AA etc. won't be able to recover anything over 3500kg with their standard vehicles.  This requires specialist (expensive) recovery should you breakdown.

Monday, 23 November 2009

Its Weight Day

I thought it prudent to get the motorhome weighed.  A trip to the local weighbridge revealed its 2830kg in its stocking feet. 

I have to admit this is a lot more than I would have guessed so I am glad I did it,  The fuel tank was very low as well so to stay within 3500kg I am going to have to be very careful with what goes in!

Allowing for myself & wife, dogs and fuel I have about 400kg left of which up to 160kg  will be water.

It is true the the chassis is a 4600kg variant so if the worst comes to the worst I can go over but it would be nice to stay below the magic 3500kg

Saturday, 21 November 2009

The Ambulance has gone.

The motorhome is back from the bodyshop for now.  Jerry has transformed an ambulance to a motorhome. Henceforth it will no longed be called an ambulance :-)

Before with light bar removed

I need to get some new rear lights as the back was from an
accident damaged caravan

This back could almost have been made to fit the ambulance body.  Look at the detail line on the lower back where it lines up with the line on the original body.  Having said that an enormous amount of sculpting has been done with GRP and filler to make it look and fit like this.


Lights and sign all sculpted it to one continuous piece.
Now our very own C class motorhome :-)

In reality there's still a lot of work to be done before its a real motorhome, but the outside no longer looks like an ambulance.  The keen eyed of you will see the white is a different colour.  This is a protective coat until it has its final paint job.  There's no point at this stage in doing the paint as there a quite a few holes to be cut in the body for various windows and access doors.

Wednesday, 18 November 2009

Another Photo Update

Jerry has been busy! Its ready to pick up tomorrow :-)

The paint on the job so far is just a holding coat as my workspace is outside.  Once all the  outside is done I will see about getting a complete respray.

Saturday, 14 November 2009

Quick Photo Update

I received another photo from Jerry today.

Looking good

Friday, 13 November 2009

More Progress

I got a photo update from the body shop yesterday on the progress.  Its certainly taking shape :-)

Definitely not looking like an ambulance now

Even the front no longer belies its origins

On another note, if you are following this blog then have a look at my boat project blog Boat project clicky link  Its been a busy week on that too.


Monday, 9 November 2009

Its looking different

I had to drop some parts over the the body shop today.  I got to take some more photos while there.


Sunday, 8 November 2009

I have had a a few photos sent by the body shop of the progress of the caravan back that's being put on.  They are from a mobile phone txt message so not very big but nice to have.

The bubbles are PU foam

I am going over tomorrow to take a new front wing to be put on so will be able to take some more pictures.

Wednesday, 4 November 2009


I took the ambulance to "the man that can" to have the caravan rear put on. He has kindly offered to take and send photos of progress so I can have it for the blog. 

Exciting times :-)

Monday, 2 November 2009

Projects are like buses.

It had to happen I suppose. The boat shell I have been after for the best part of a year is now mine. So now I have 2 projects on the go. Looks like another blog to write as well.

The ambulance is going to the body shop on Wednesday to have the caravan back put on. This should give me time to get the space prepared for the boats arrival.